CITY OF DODGE CENTER
Supervision: Library Director
Hours worked: 40 hours per week. Includes some evenings and Saturday mornings. A flexible work schedule is required in order to fill in for a colleague’s planned vacation, or on short notice for a co-worker’s absence due to illness.
Job Purpose Summary
Assists in providing quality library services to the public.
- Performs circulation desk procedures, such as checking in and checking out materials, registering patrons and collecting fines.
- Provides interlibrary loan service to patrons using the integrated library computer system.
- Checks in deliveries of incoming interlibrary loan materials and locates and routes outgoing interlibrary loan materials.
- Assists patrons in the use of the internet, word processing, photocopying, and general use of the computers.
- Explains and assists patrons in the use of the online library catalog, the online reference databases, as well as print reference sources.
- Provides assistance in reference and readers advisory service and answers queries directly or via telephone or email.
- Processes new library acquisitions by covering items, stamping materials, and creating spine labels so that items are ready for circulation.
- Manages overdue notices for library items on the library computer system and informs patrons of overdue items via phone or mail.
- Assists Library Director in the planning and preparation of programs such as summer reading, storytimes, and adult programs both inside and outside the library.
- Troubleshoots and provides basic technical assistance for patrons using public computers, internet, wifi, library-provided software, scanner, fax machine and photocopier.
- Shelves library materials to their proper place and reads shelves.
- Schedules and orders materials per patron requests.
- Plans and arranges seasonal and summer reading wall and shelf displays.
- Creates marketing materials, flyers, and posts for social media.
- Maintains office and operating supplies.
- Processes, withdraws, repairs, or reconditions library materials.
- Restocks bathroom supplies, waters plants, and performs cleaning, dusting, and vacuuming as needed.
- Compiles reports.
- Maintains periodical collection.
- Attends library training workshops.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Should have a high interest in providing quality library service to the public. Ability to lift/carry or push/pull 50 lbs. Good vision. Physically able to do frequent bending and reaching. Ability to stand for extended periods of time. Knowledge of or ability to learn alphanumeric order. Ability to work independently with only general supervision. Knowledge of or ability to learn library computer applications. Ability to type. Able to multitask in a sometimes busy environment. Must enjoy working with the public and have good communication skills in order to provide positive customer service.
Works in a well lit, well ventilated and temperature controlled building.
- H.S. degree
Additional Desirable Qualifications for the Position
- 2+ years previous library experience.
- Customer service experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Enjoys working with children
- Starting wage $18.91 – $21.99 per hour, depending on experience
- Paid time off, paid federal holidays
- Health and life insurance
- Dental and vision insurance options
- Retirement plan