CITY OF DODGE CENTER
Supervision: Library Director and Assistant Librarian
Hours worked: Up to 20 hours per week. Includes evenings and Saturday mornings. A flexible work schedule is required in order to fill in for a colleague’s planned vacation, or on short notice for a co-worker’s absence due to illness.
Job Purpose Summary
Shelving and processing library materials. Assists in providing quality library services to the public.
- Shelves library materials to their proper place.
- Assists in maintaining general appearance of library shelves by dusting or realigning any strewn shelf materials.
- Checks materials in and out to patrons, issues library cards, collects fines.
- Explains and assists patrons in the use of the on-line library catalog, the on-line reference databases, as well as print reference sources.
- Assists in the sale of photocopies, computer print-outs, and fax service.
- Assists patrons in the use of the internet, word processing, photocopying, and general use of the computers.
- Assists patrons by troubleshooting public computers, printers, office equipment.
- Provides interlibrary loan by using the integrated library computer system.
- Processes new library acquisitions by covering items, stamping materials, typing up spine label call numbers, etc., so that items are ready for circulation.
- Repairs damaged library materials, cleans covers.
- Checks in materials arriving from other libraries as well as retrieves materials from our library that are requested from regional libraries for the purpose of interlibrary loan.
- Informs patrons via telephone, email, or postcard that interlibrary loaned materials have arrived for local pick-up.
- Attends SELCO training workshops.
- May assist in planning, preparing, and conducting programs such as summer reading, storytimes, and adult programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Should have a high interest in providing quality library service to the public. Ability to lift/carry or push/pull 20 lbs. Good vision. Physically able to do frequent bending and reaching. Ability to stand for extended periods of time. Knowledge of or ability to learn alphanumeric order. Ability to work independently with only general supervision. Knowledge of or ability to learn library computer applications. Ability to type. Able to multitask in a sometimes busy environment. Must enjoy working with the public and have good communication skills in order to provide positive customer service.
Works in a well lit, well ventilated and temperature controlled building.
- H.S. degree
Additional Desirable Qualifications for the Position
- Previous library experience.
- Customer service experience
- Enjoys working with children.